4.0.3 EDIT: Added in Elementium Dragonling.
First off, Northend and the Wrath of the Lich King expansion gave us wonderful new abilities through items and tinkering. With patch 4.0.1 engineering tinkering stacked with regular enchants and patch 4.0.3 dropped the stat increases from tinkering. For Cataclysm we are going to still be using our valuable on use items and tinkering.
- Jeeves, Scrapbot Construction Kit, Gnomish Army Knife and MOLL-E will still be in our bags. Engineers will still be using Wormhole Generator: Northrend to return to Northend for Cobalt and Saronite in Cataclysm for the still useful Tinkering abilities.
- For rocketchuting the Flexweave Underlay and Nitro Boosts will be useful for running away and cliff diving. Mind Amplification Dish and Frag Belt will still be fun for PVP. Hand-Mounted Pyro Rocket, Hyperspeed Accelerators, and Reticulated Armor Webbing will be useful for DPS and soloing while leveling to 85 or until you get your engineering to 525.
- Goblin Beam Welder will be useful for healing our new Elementium Dragonling.
- Personal Electromagnetic Pulse Generator will still be there for us while we farm Mechanicals for engineering items.
Engineering 450 and beyond
- Handful of Obsidium Bolts will be used to level engineering and do damage until you max out the profession and get to level 85.
- Electrostatic Condenser will always be in our bags and will help us collect Volatile Air which we need for Electrified Ether.
- R19 Threatfinder and Safety Catch Removal Kit will be our first set of scopes we will be able to make. They will increase Hit or Haste and the one you use will depend on what you need at the time.
- Volatile Seaforium Blastpack will be there for us when we encounter lock boxes.
- High-Powered Bolt Gun will consume Handful of Obsidium Bolts to do damage. Too bad it doesn’t help us build large buildings.
- Lure Master Tackle Box and Heat-Treated Spinning Lure will allow hunters to stack on fishing supplies and farm fish for more gold.
- Elementium Toolbox help us carry around all our new engineering stuff.
- Elementium Dragonling will help us bring in the boss kills. I macro’d it in my Kill Shot. The 252 mastery is what really helps. Plus the mats aren’t terribly hard to come by.
- Loot-a-Rang will make Dwarf hunters more fat.
- When engineers hit level 83 we want to be sure we can make our first engineering range weapons, Finely-Tuned Throat Needler or Volatile Thunderstick.
- Depending on if you are a Gnomish or Goblin engineer you can get Gnomish Gravity Well (as of patch 4.0.6 it is broken) or Big Daddy ( a new bomb).
- The replacement for Fish Feast is now a engineering made item called Goblin Barbecue.
- Hunters finally get a weapon enchant that procs with their range weapon called Gnomish X-Ray Scope.
- The new belt enchants, Cardboard Assassin, Grounded Plasma Shield, Invisibility Field, Quickflip Deflection Plates and the new glove enchant Spinal Healing Injector will help you level and solo content. The Tazik Shocker or Synapse Springs will be there for you to help kill new bosses in 5-mans and raids.
- Kickback 5000 and Overpowered Chicken Splitter will be our next set of range weapons from engineering. Pick the weapon that best compliments your racial ability. Dwarves hunters please use the gun over the bow. If you use a bow as a dwarf consider yourself a noob.
- Deadly Bio-Optic Killshades will be used until we get our Tier 11 helm. The best thing about these is that they can be socketed with Fractured Cogwheel, Quick Cogwheel, Rigid Cogwheel, and Smooth Cogwheel depending on what you need. Use a spreadsheet like femaledwarf.com to figure out which works best for you. Here is a comparison between the 2 helms.
I really hope we get more schematics throughout the expansion. So far I’m loving the new things we are getting.
‘Til next time…